March 1, 2014

Way Too Cold!

Minus 15 below right now and minus 36 below wind chill - thank God one car out of two started for us today because its pretty darn cold out there! Not nearly as cold as this place near Roger's Pass was back in 1954 - which was not too far away - maybe 60 or so miles from here. That's one claim to fame I wouldn't want to have - so they can keep that record to themselves. 

The Highwoods have been looking rather cold of late as well - they are my favorite mountains, I guess I have known them the longest and the familiarity with them has made me rather fond of them. I have painted them a number of times but want to paint a whole series sometime - maybe 20 to 30. They just have a lot of character - every day they are ever-changing yet still so much the same. They are a comfort to have - a nice strong presence to have nearby.

I think Squall in the Highwoods is an appropriate title for this photo - 
look at all that thick atmosphere - now that's what I like to paint!




Here's some more atmosphere swirling around the highest peaks of the Highwood Mountains.



Lots of atmosphere here looking east over the partly frozen/open waters of the Missouri River to the 10th Street Bridge - in progress winter painting 16 "x 20" oil on panel(after first session).


No comments:

Post a Comment